Scottsdale, Ariz. – February 18, 2009 – The Barrett-Jackson Auction Company recently announced that it helped raise $4.4 million for local and national charities during the 38th annual Scottsdale auction Jan. 11-18, 2009. Funds at the automotive lifestyle event were gathered through the sale of 15 collector vehicles, crowd donations and fundraisers like the Childhelp Drive The Dream Gala. Barrett-Jackson does not collect commissions on vehicles sold entirely for charity.
“Charity fundraising has always been a cornerstone of our Scottsdale event,” said Craig Jackson, Chairman/CEO of Barrett-Jackson. “We helped raise nearly $7 million at our three events in 2008, and started 2009 off with an amazing $4.4 million. We sold some incredible vehicles to collect those charity dollars, including the first production 2010 Camaro and the wild Superbird tribute. I’m proud to carry on the Barrett-Jackson legacy of helping charities that my father and Tom Barrett started nearly 40 years ago.”
One of the highlights of the auction was the sale of the 1970 Plymouth Superbird custom tribute to benefit The Darrell Gwynn Foundation. The crowd roared when NASCAR legend Richard Petty climbed from the driver’s seat and joined the auctioneers at the podium. After intense bidding and generous crowd donations, the Superbird sold for $501,100.
Automakers General Motors and Ford Motor Company also took part in the charity excitement by auctioning the rights to several first retail production vehicles. GM’s first 2010 Chevy Camaro fetched $350,000 for the American Heart Association. Ford auctioned the 2010 Mustang FR500CJ Cobra Jet prototype for $375,000 and the first retail production 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor for $130,000, both to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
“Car collectors are among the most giving people in the world,” added Steve Davis, president of Barrett-Jackson. “And Barrett-Jackson has become a conduit for them to support worthwhile causes. To ensure that charities received the funding they deserve during these tough economic times, we brought together an impressive crop of charity vehicles and bidders who really stepped up for these organizations. We look forward to a successful event in Palm Beach and raising more money for charity there.”
Vehicles sold for charity in Scottsdale include:
- 1970 Plymouth Superbird custom tribute – $501,000 (The Darrell Gwynn Foundation)
- 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo NASCAR “Jeff Gordon’s” – $500,000 (Hendrick Marrow Program)
- 2009 Ford Mustang FR500CJ Cobra Jet prototype – $375,000 (JDRF)
- 2010 Chevrolet Camaro “First Retail Production” – $350,000 (American Heart Association)
- 1967 Plymouth Barracuda custom – $200,000 (EAA Young Eagles)
- 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo NASCAR “Tony Stewart’s” – $165,000 (The Darrell Gwynn Foundation)
- 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor “First Retail Production” – $130,000 (JDRF)
- 2008 Chevy Tahoe custom with autographed MLB hood – $100,000 (MLB Charities)
- 2008 Ford Mustang GT ROUSH P-51A – $100,000 (Speedway Children’s Charities)
- 2008 Barrett-Jackson Edition Ford Shelby GT – $72,000 (Carroll Shelby Children’s Foundation)
- 2009 60th Anniversary NASCAR Motorcycle – $50,000 (Victory Junction Gang)
- 1961 GMC Carryall – $50,000 (Boy Scouts of America)
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird – $50,000 (McPherson College)
- 2008 Ford Mustang GT GR40 – $50,000 (Phoenix Theatre)
- 2008 Ford Mustang GT – $45,000 (International Children’s Heart Foundation)
Barrett-Jackson will continue its charity efforts during the 7th annual Palm Beach auction April 9-11, 2009. Scheduled to cross the block is a 1969 RS/SS Camaro custom built by “Super Chevy” magazine and Route 66 Motorsports. Dubbed “Project American Heroes,” all proceeds from the sale of the Camaro will benefit the Armed Forces Foundation.
About The Barrett-Jackson Auction Company
Established in 1971 and headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz., Barrett-Jackson specializes in providing products and services to classic and collector car owners, astute collectors and automotive enthusiasts around the world. The company produces the “World’s Greatest Collector Car Auctions™” in Scottsdale, Palm Beach, Fla. and Las Vegas. For more information about Barrett-Jackson, visit www.barrett-jackson.com or call (480) 421-6694.