Lot #1379.1 - Emile Delahaye founded his automobile manufacturing company in 1895 and continued to design and drive them in competition through 1905. Upon Delahaye's death in 1906, Charles Weiffenbach became director of the firm until it closed in 1954. The company prospered for years, manufacturing commercial vehicles and mundane passenger cars. By the mid-1930s it was decided that Delahaye needed a major image change. The redesigned and re-engineered Delahaye reflected style, speed and individuality. At the close of World War II, Delahaye was one of the first French firms to resume production. This 1953 Delahaye Type 235 features custom coachwork by Jacques Saoutchik of Paris. Both Delahaye and Saoutchik closed their doors for business by 1954. This car was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1990, and was displayed at Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance in 2012. 4-speed manual transmission.
The names Barrett-Jackson, Barrett-Jackson.com, and all associated graphics, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names are trademarks, registered trademarks or trade dress of the Barrett-Jackson Auction Company, LLC or its affiliates.